Monday, December 1, 2008

Motivation!


Motivation... I decided to share what motivates me to continue running after 7 years. So what motivates you? Many of us run/walk to lose weight, maintain a healthy lifestyle or to be with friends. I started running for myself. After a 20 year marriage ended, I decided that I needed to do something just for myself. I read about the Better Than Ever 1/2 marathon training and fundraising for cancer and decided to join. The running/walking program was simple to follow. Just concentrate each week on running 3-4 times and on increasing your mileage each weekend and you will be successful. The program had many mentors who ran or walked at various speeds. They had runs and walks scheduled for most days of the week. I really didn't think that I would be able to complete 13.1 miles.


Boy was I surprised! After about 2 months of training, I ran a 10 mile race. I was so excited about my success that I cried all the way home. At that time, I felt that if I could do this, I could do anything, even overcome the sadness and grief over the loss of my marriage. From there it was smooth sailing to the 1/2 marathon! I completed my first one with a time of 2 hours, 45 minutes. What a success it was a for me.


During year two, I decided to share my experience and invite others to join me. I recruited my son that year and we ran it together with a time of 2 hours, 10 minutes. I cut my time by 35 minutes! Running with a 22 year old was great motivation. Race three, I recruited my daughter and several staff members working with me in the library. I had encouraged four more to start running. Race four, jumped to 26 people and this year, I have 46 people committed to the race!


So why do I continue after all these years, because it makes me feel so good mentally! It was the best medicine for sadness and grief for me. And I love sharing my success with others and encouraging friends to do something that they never thought possible.


Next step is a full marathon. My friends who are marathoners tell me that I can accomplish this, that it is all in my mind. For now my mind doesn't believe it! But I know that eventually it will and that I will be able to successfully complete 26.1 miles!


The Tucson 1/2 Marathon is just days away. Now is the time to think about what motivates you to success!


Running at the speed of FUN!

Gina

No comments: