Wednesday, October 29, 2008

Aches & Pains, Part 3

I have caught up with my running this week. I was able to run my 10, all the while thinking of what I was going to have for breakfast. As I was running, I was also experiencing a slight pain in my foot. As I got to thinking about this pain, I remembered that I purchased my shoes last year and it is probably about time for a new pair of shoes.

Since you have been walking or running for 2 months now, if you didn't start out with a new pair of shoes, you may want to consider a new pair a couple of weeks prior to the 1/2 marathon. I notice that when I start to experience pain in my feet, shins, legs or hips, that I might be in need of a new pair of shoes. For the average runner/walker, replacing shoes after 300-500 miles is a good idea. For most of us, that is about every 9-12 months.

When I shop for shoes, I ask to try on several pairs and walk around the store in them. The shoes should feel comfortable as soon as you put them on. There is no need for a "breaking in " period. Performance Footwear will videotape you walking or running and then match the correct shoes to your running/walking style. Pronation, Overpronation, Supination, what does it all mean? Finding out will help you pick a pair of shoes correctly for your feel. Check out a section on Runner's world about foot diagnosis, http://www.runnersworld.com/subtopic/0,7123,s6-240-319-326-0,00.html
Also, the Fall Shoe Guide is in the September 2008 issue of Runner's World.

Gina

No comments: